Pages

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Gardening Rookie

Yep it's true, I'm a complete gardening rookie, never planted a thing in my life!  And summer after summer I see the wonderful and fresh things everyone gets out of their gardens. Who doesn't love some fresh garden tomatoes?

A few weeks ago, I went to target and my first stop there is always their $1 corner, you know the one. Many times I've been surprised with great little findings. 

In my last visit there, I found several cute little pots that came with seeds, soil, and instructions on how to plant flowers, veggies, and herbs.

 

I thought, why not, for a dollar, let's give it a try !!

First had to add water to the soil pellets and fluff them with a fork:


Yumm ;)

Next, added the soil to the container:


Finally, added the seeds:

I used the boxes to remember which was which
Aren't these cute??
This was so exciting. I put them close to a window where they would get a lot of sun and watered them everyday. After a week the sunflowers started to grow! 


After two more days

See the parsley in the background?
The sunflowers are all grown now and according to the instructions, once they are 3" tall, they need to find a new home in a bigger pot or outside.

This is where I worry I'm going to mess it all up... they didn't give me instructions on how to get them out of those pots! My MIL gave me some tips on how to get them out and I'll give it a shot. I'll keep you updated on how that goes. 

Did you plant a garden this year? Any tips or tricks for this gardening rookie?


2 comments:

  1. It's easy peasy to get them out of the pot - just take your time and make sure you give them plenty of space in a bigger pot - how exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Claudia, I'm going to give it a shot this weekend :)

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear from you!